The Pen Den

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A writer's hideaway stocked with pens, ancient inkwells and plenty of fun!

4 posters

Who here writes Science Fiction?

Olivia Henderson
    Olivia Henderson

Who here writes Science Fiction? Empty Who here writes Science Fiction?

Post by Olivia Henderson Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 pm

So, which of you guys write Sci Fi? Why do you like the genre?

Do you find it easy, or really hard world building, creating cultures etc for Sci Fi? I find it difficult, but maybe it's because I have not had much to do with Science Fiction until very recent years, so I know little about it.

I haven't ever really been drawn to writing science fiction, but I have enjoyed reading it recently.
    Elly of Zoriah
    Elly of Zoriah

Are you a published author : No

Who here writes Science Fiction? Empty Re: Who here writes Science Fiction?

Post by Elly of Zoriah Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:46 pm

I've attempted it once or twice. However, it's not something that really captures me like fantasy.
    Jay R. Lakewood
    Jay R. Lakewood
    Admin
    Admin

Are you a published author : Yes

Post by Jay R. Lakewood Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Fantasy does seem to be the more popular choice for writers. Maybe it's the lack of science that appeals to them.
    Elly of Zoriah
    Elly of Zoriah

Are you a published author : No

Post by Elly of Zoriah Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Perhaps that's true. It's the writing that's fun for me, not the science. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It seems that fantasy is more of "you can create whatever you want", rather than sci-fi's "you need to specifically explain this, this, and this in a scientific manner".
    Aubrey Hansen
    Aubrey Hansen

Are you a published author : Aye

Post by Aubrey Hansen Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Ah, but therein lies the great misconception about sci-fi! While sci-fi generally has advanced science in it, by no means is it required that the science be explained. Much of sci-fi isn't even plausible and is just as fanciful as fantasy. (Star Wars is a good example.) You just have unrealistic gadgetry instead of magic and cobha. Sci-fi doesn't have to be about science and knowledge; it can be about playing with technology and making up things you wish existed, even if they aren't remotely plausible. (Light sabers, anyone?)

As such, the science and technology in sci-fi does not need to be explained. You do not need to know how stuff works to write sci-fi. Some subgenres of sci-fi are geared towards people that like details; for example "hard" sci-fi usually involves technological explanations. But "soft" sci-fi does not.

All of that to say--don't be afraid to write sci-fi just because you aren't technologically adept! You can write sci-fi without understanding the technology. Think of it this way. You live in a world with a lot of technology. Do you understand how all of it works? No, but you have no trouble surviving. Your MC can be the same way. Just because you live in a world with a lot of technology does not mean you need to be able to explain it all.

As for me, I've been divided between fantasy/alternate history and sci-fi since I started writing. With sci-fi, I've always been especially fond of the settings--space, space stations, futuristic societies, etc. I love the concrete, the metal, the starts, and the futuristic governments. (As such, I'm particularly fond of the subgenre of dystopia.) I like some technology, but I'm not too focused on it. (Anyone who has read my sci-fi book Red Rain knows that there's some technology, but nothing excessively creative and only a few overly simplistic explanations of how things work.) I do like androids and computers with advanced AI, though. For some reason I think it's fun to have an intelligent character that's electronic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:20 am