The Pen Den

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A writer's hideaway stocked with pens, ancient inkwells and plenty of fun!

2 posters

Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word...

Camerie Nightingale
    Camerie Nightingale
    Admin
    Admin

Are you a published author : Yes

Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word... Empty Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word...

Post by Camerie Nightingale Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:07 pm

About halfway through my contemporary fiction story, my characters are introduced to the idea of religion and Christianity. They've been living on the streets of NYC just about their whole lives and have never heard the Word. I'm thinking that the younger girl (Eddi, age 11) will accept Christ when she hears the Gospel the first time, but her older 'sister' (Chandler, age 16) and friends (Roy, age 15, Gundy, age 18) will have a harder time. I'm thinking that since Chandler is very protective of Eddi, she'll think that the missionaries who talked to her were trying to take advantage of the younger girl. She won't let Eddi go back.
    Eddi will probably convince Gundy to go with her, though. Chandler is afraid of what Roy and the others will think, she is also a very withdrawn person because of negative life experiences she's had. She eventually comes to grips with her Maker when she goes to one of the missionary's house after dark while the others are sleeping and hears the story of Nicodemus. Roy is very reluctant to listen, but when the bully, Jack shows up a changed young man and asks for forgiveness, he realizes that Christianity is a lifestyle, not a religion.

I'm sure it won't play out exactly like that, but something like it. Is it realistic enough?
    Jane Johnson

Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word... Empty Re: Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word...

Post by Jane Johnson Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:51 pm

It kinda seems realistic, but the part where the bully shows up reformed and he realises it's a lifestyle does seem a little cliche. That might be -ust me though. (Sorry, my key between h and k is broken.)
    Camerie Nightingale
    Camerie Nightingale
    Admin
    Admin

Are you a published author : Yes

Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word... Empty Re: Reaction to Christianity from characters who've never heard the Word...

Post by Camerie Nightingale Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Okay, I was thinking that myself. I'll figure something out when I come to that point in the story. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:47 am